Become a Volunteer Dog Walker
- Using safe animal handling techniques and designated training protocols, remove animals from kennels, leash dogs, and walk or take to play yard for play, training or socialization.
- Under guidance of shelter dog trainer, work with dogs on obedience, sit, stay, down and come.
- Upon request from staff, show dogs to potential adopters and answer questions as needed.
- Scoop feces and dispose of appropriately.
- Maintain clean kennel housing during shift.
- Provide fresh water as needed.
- Alert staff if any medical or behavioral issues are noted.
Special Capabilities and Requirements
- Must be able to provide friendly, knowledgeable customer service and to answer questions in a professional manner, deferring to staff if guidance is needed.
- Must be able to understand, learn and utilize positive reinforcement training protocols.
- Note: This is a physically active volunteer position.
- Attend General Orientation Session.
- Attend 2 – 4 training session(s) with Red Lock Handler.
Please bring your completed volunteer application to the animal shelter and turn it in to front desk personnel or email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.