What to Expect As a Volunteer
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with Pet Project Foundation at the San Clemente-Dana Point Animal Shelter. Each year, approximately 1200 abandoned, lost, injured and abused animals cross our doorstep. We couldn’t care for all these animals without the help of our dedicated, long-term volunteers. Our volunteers generously donate over 25,000 hours each year to walk dogs, socialize cats, hop rabbits and assist the general public with a variety of needs.
We provide training for all volunteer positions so no prior experience is required – just a desire to make a difference in the life of a homeless animal.
Expectations of Pet Project Foundation Volunteers:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Submit an application and attend appropriate orientation and training sessions
- Be able to make a commitment of at least 6 months to your volunteer position
- Report to assigned shift on time and stay until the end of your shift
- Notify the volunteer coordinator if you are unable to come in for your assigned shift
- Follow the direction of paid staff at all times
- Learn and follow the policies of the shelter
- Wear clothing appropriate to the season and to your assignment
- Report accidents and bites promptly to staff
- Interact courteously and professionally with staff, guests and volunteers
- Become a member of Pet Project Foundation by paying the annual dues - a volunteer t-shirt is included with initial fee